Tuesday, August 26, 2008

TRIXIE


Meet Trixie...the barn cat. I am allergic to cats, although mildly, and I'm not particularly fond of them either. Their personalities trouble me...I hate how they ignore you when you call them,but yet when they want something from you, they squall inconsolably until you feed them. The meaning of the name Trixie is "Bringer Of Joy", however the last few weeks, she has been "Bringer of Mice". She is our chief mouse catcher at the barn, which is exactly what she's suppose to do...she's doing her job. On Friday she killed a huge rat about 7" long on the walking trail..and last night she caught and ate four tiny baby mice...they didn't even have hair yet. I know it's sad, but it's not sad to us if a mouse is in our grain or terrorizing our barn...it's the circle of life, at least at the barn. Sometimes she's incredibly bored (she wont' play with cat toys)...and those are the days where she catches a mouse, gnaws on it enough to make it lethargic, then bats it around for a half hour with her paw before having it for dinner...she'll let it get 4 ft away then pounces on it...I admit I do feel sorry for these particular mice...the ones she plays with. I have no idea why I'm blogging about this, probably because I took these cool pictures of her and had to write something to go with them.

6 comments:

Candy said...

YUCK!!! So, you did take some GREAT pictures! :) I can't stand cats, they just scare me! That's great that she keeps the mice away though. :)

Caroline said...

"Bringer of Joy"! Indeed she is! She is always around us people. She knows everyone's schedule and waits for you on the bench and most of the time comes to greet you at your car. She walks with you in the tack room, walks with you into the pasture to feed horses. She is sometimes like a little faithful dog (except for when she meanly lynches those mice. But that's her job and she does it joyfully :-))
Great blog.

destiny said...

I love cats! I don't want to ever have another one, but I love watching them!!
I had a dog named Trixie once--a black german shep.

susan said...

OH!! look at you finding my sophie cat!! you give her a rub from me, that's so strange you chose her, now to take her picture. Even with all the noise in my house i can still hear her NOT here. (just had to put my fur-ball down a couple of weeks ago Susan

dk said...

And then you let her lick you in the face...right?! I think that is the PERFECT life for a cat! They are not my favorite either and i am somewhat allergic too! i know how ya feel!! I am not sure what is worse..the torture from a cat or one stuck on those sticky traps and you hear them squealing in the middle of the night and you are trying to figure out "what is that noise?" ..Eddie did that and didnt tell me! UGH!

Sharron said...

I'm with you. Allergic to cats and don't really care for them either.