Monday, August 16, 2010

Scaredy Hole....

When I invite people to come visit me, one of the first things they ask me, is "so do you have one of those, 'er storm shelter thingys?" I guess maybe they might be contemplating not coming if I didn't have somewhere for them to hide during a possible twister.
Rest assured, my would be house guests, this is your "scaredy hole" (as our friend David calls it). Don't get me wrong, we need a scaredy hole and want a scaredy hole, as much as you want us to have a scaredy hole when you come to visit. so here it is, 6'x8' concrete hole in the ground with air vents and steps that descend.
Approximate financial setback $2,400.00, but to us, it's PRICELESS.
So how it works is this, there are sirens...tornado sirens and they go off every Saturday at noon all over the city and surrounding suburbs..and yes, you can hear them and set your watch by them...if it's noon, they go off for testing.
Yes, you can stand up in it, but I was leaning my head to the side so you could see me in the picture. Now Carl can't stand up in it, but he's the exception to every head clearance issue, whether it be walking under an umbrella or dancing.
So how does it work? the sirens go off..and  you run for the shelter. you stay in the shelter until the sirens go of for "all clear". People ask me this all the time..."so what if your house falls on the shelter and you can't get out"...well, my answer is simple, I'm alive, so I wait for somebody to come get me out. If you have a storm cellar, you have to register it with the fire dept and you have a sticker on your window or door (depending on what City you live in and their codes) and if a tornado levels your neighborhood, they come looking for you. Hopefully, they find you in your storm cellar waiting.
So for everyone who ever wondered, yes we have a storm cellar, yes there is room for plenty of people in it (at least 13 & 3 dogs/and I know this from personal experience), to include you if you visit.
The End.

4 comments:

Betty said...

Oh Kelly! it looks very nice but even with it I'm still scare of tornados. You may really love Oklahoma for what I have expirence I am a chicken.

canscrap4u2 said...

at least you can see them coming Betty, especially from our house. We have a birds eye view, and you always have the option of going the other way. A lot of people chase tornadoes but you can run from them too...

destiny said...

Cool!! I feel claustrophobic (sp?) just looking at that! But, I'd rather be cramped than flattened by a twister!!

Betty said...

I know that people chase tornadoes, Steve wanted to do that for living and I told him are you crazy??? I won't married you loll
Hope you guys never have to used it!